Rover P6's were not built in chassis number order so there is no definitive cut off by chassis number for where tax exemption starts in the UK for Rover P6’s by chassis number.

Legislation now states that tax exemption on classic cars begins on 1st April in the year after a car has passed its 40th birthday in the previous year ending 31st December. Tax Exemption will begin automatically based on date of registration however build date may trigger tax exemption earlier.

The DVLA system sets the 'unknown build date' to the end of the year the car was registered (or Dec 1975 if registered before 1st Jan 1976) because the VOSA system picks up its data from the DVLA system and needs this date for brake and emissions calculations during MOT's.  

Establishing the actual build date will not update DVLA data without a specific build Dating Certificate. And the only way to establish the actual build date is to have the chassis number looked up in the production records which are held at The Motor Heritage Centre, Gaydon.

A web enquiry will cost you £6.00 per piece of data, so when you enquire be very specific about what you want. However to claim tax exemption before it automatically starts, you will need a 'Dating Certificate' which will cost £21.00. The full Heritage Certificates start from £40.00 depending on the level you want.

As an example, if your car was registered in May 1975, we would estimate that it was built March-April 1975  and therefore will not be automatically tax exempt until April 2016 (under new legislation put in place as of 1st April 2014). However if you wish to pursue the build date, there is a possibility that your car could have been built pre-April 1975 and an even slimmer possibility that it could have been built in late 1974 and therefore you might be able to claim tax exemption in April 2015 as long as you can produce a Dating Certificate to the DVLA stating the build date as pre-31st December 1974..

Email us for more help

MGBD Parts Technical Information


Please click on the image above to find out more about UK vehicle tax discs.

Our thanks to ‘Tax Disc, Velology’ for  use of this image.


As a follow on to Road Tax, this is what you need to do if you don’t have any.

Under current UK legislation, you will need to declare ‘SORN’ , that is ‘Statutory Off Road Notification’ if your vehicle is not taxed whether it is tax exempt or not.

You are also required to surrender your tax disc and declare SORN if your vehicle is not insured for the road.

You are permitted to have your car insured but not taxed as long as it is ‘Off Road’ and SORN has been declared.

Please make sure that your ‘Off Road’ parking is specifically yours and dedicated parking for you, because public car parks and grass verges don’t necessarily count, if you are unsure contact your local authority for clarification.

DVLA Vehicle Enquiry & SORN

If you find, buy or acquire a vehicle which is not listed on DVLA records by registration, you will need to apply for a registration number using the DVLA’s V765 Scheme.

The V765 requires an inspection by a DVLA Authorised Signatory and the appropriate paperwork needs to be verified and counter-signed before presentation to the DVLA.

We are able to carry out this work for you.

please email us for more details




Classic Inspection Services

As part of MGBD Services we also provide Valuation  Inspections and Insurance Valuations for  the Rover P6 car.

As Rover P6 enthusiasts, we have over 20 years experience of owning  driving, restoring, repairing and servicing Rover P6 cars of all models and as such are well equipped to provide this specialist service which you may need for your Insurance supplier or if you are planning to buy or sell a Rover P6.

We can carry out these Valuation inspections onsite or in our workshop, so please contact us for more details on


Click here for more details